nature’s buttery sweet potato goodness
2-3 medium sweet potatoes thoroughly washed and sliced into ½ inch discs
1. In a medium sauce pan add water and place a steaming basket
2. Place sweet potato discs on the basket and cover
3. Start with high heat to bring the water up to a boil, which should only take a couple minutes
4. When you see that the water is boiling and steaming has begun, turn down heat to medium
5. Allow to steam 15-20 minutes, or until desired softness ( be sure to check in on it to make sure there is still steam and that the water hasn’t dried out)
- You can test the doneness of the potato by either pricking it with a fork or knife, OR I usually go by just looking at the peel of the potato. If the peel is beginning to pucker off the meat of the potato, it’s finished!
- Reserve water from steaming
6. Allow potato to cool enough to handle
7. Peel off the skin of the potato. This should be quick and easy if the potato is fully cooked. You should be able to easily do it with your hands.
8. Place potato pieces in desired pureeing appliance (as you should know by now, my preferred method is the Magic Bullet)
9. Begin pureeing and add water reserved from the steaming to the potato as needed to acquire desired consistency
This recipe makes several servings. Depending on how much your baby eats you can either just keep it in the fridge, if your baby goes through it quickly, or you can break it up and freeze them. Just remember to take some out the day before and put in the fridge so the thawing process can begin and make it easier to heat up when it’s eating time.
I have also tripled this recipe and made a big batch before, which for me, was great because it ultimately saves me time. I used a jar to keep some in the fridge to go through right away and then I used the Baby Cubes and portioned out a tray for the freezer. This way I can revisit the potato off-and-on without having to make a new batch.
When I introduced this to Lorenzo he was so excited! He LOVED the sweet potato more than anything else he had tried up to this point. The smooth consistency and the sweetness of the potato was a great combo. Not to mention that it made me real happy too because he seemed to get real “regular” with his poops when he was eating this.