An apple a day…
10 golden delicious apples (peeled, cored, and ¼ sliced)
(When choosing apples, I prefer the golden delicious because they are sweet and become nice and soft)
1 1/2 c water
1) In a large sauté pan with lid, add water and allow to come to a boil
2) Add apples and allow temperature to rise again to a boil
3) Reduce to a simmer (med/low heat) and allow to simmer for about 25 minutes covered, and 15 minutes uncovered at the end to allow for some evaporation.
- Check periodically to make sure it doesn’t dry out too much. Add water little by little if necessary if evaporation occurs too quickly
4) Once apples are at desired softness, pour into a blender/food processor/or magic bullet and puree.
- Reserve water from apples when done cooking to add as needed when pureeing
- be careful with steam build-up when pureeing
5) Let cool, and serve warm or cold
~This recipe makes approximately 30 oz.
~For storage you can keep some in the fridge and freeze or jar the rest so it lasts longer.
~When freezing, you can either freeze in ice cube trays, jars, or Tupperware OR I like to use Baby Cubes, which are individually portioned freezer cubes specifically designed for baby food/breastmilk. It’s great because you can control how much you want to defrost from one day to the next.
~For proper jarring instructions, see my post on Jarring